Around 1200AD Reginald D’ Aubin was given an area of land from the then owners of Carrickfergus Castle. Reginald built a tower house on this patch of land which then remained in the possession of descendants of the family for hundreds of years.
By the 15th Century the family name was changed to Dobyn and several generations of the family took high office in the area. In the reign of King James I, during the plantation of Ulster, their house was used as a shelter for Catholic priests in the area. They would go on to hold many secret masses on the property, you are still able to see a priest’s dating in the hotel’s reception area.
During this time the Inn was to aquire its now resident ghost. Elizabeth, the then wife of the owner Hugh Dobbins, fell in love with a soldier stationed at Carrickfergus Castle. She used to use a passage at the back of the old stone fireplace to secretly meet with the soldier known simply as ‘Buttoncap’.
It wasn’t long before her husband was to dicover the affair, and the reports say he murdered both of them with his sword. Elizabeth’s ghost is the one that wonders the hotel to this day.
In 1946 the Inn underwent a makeover converting what was then an old dilapidated Inn, into a hotel. The spirit of Elizabeth (has become known as ‘Maud’) is still said to haunt the rooms and corridors of the Inn, stroking the faces of guests. Several other guests have also reported the sighting of a black mass shooting from the reception area over to the old stone fireplace were the tunnel still resides.
A worker has also reported being hit by a coin during the end of a busy nights service, only to turn round to find no-one in the room.
This historic hostelry has recently been refurbished with the needs of the modern day guest in mind while retaining much of the original atmosphere. The Paul Jones Lounge Bar is one of Carrickfergus’s most popular watering holes. Named after the American privateer who engaged his ship with HMS Drake off Carrickfergus Castle in 1778. The nautical theme is maintained with an array of maritime memorabilia including over 200 naval cap tallies from several national fleets.
Live music is played in the lounge bar on Friday and Saturday evenings. The De Courcy Restaurant, furnished in the style of the old Dobyn’s castle, specialises in traditional Irish fayre using freshly produced local ingredients. Guests can choose between the a la carte or bar food menus and dine in the De Courcy Restaurant or the Paul Jones Lounge.
- en suite bath or shower
- clock radio
- direct dial telephone
- trouser press
- tea/coffee facilities
Things to do
Situated in the heart of Carrickfergus, by the foothills of the Antrim mountains and within half an hours drive to main points of entry at Belfast, Larne and Aldergrove. Dobbin’s Inn offers travellers a perfect launching point from which to begin their visit to this ancient Isle.
With a central location (including secure car parking) there is much to see and do on the hotel doorstep. The Castle and St Nicholas Church are within a five minute stroll. Golfing and angling, popular activities in the borough, can be arranged at various locations by enquiring at the reception.
- Double Twin (2 single beds)
- Family (double bed & single bed).
Can accommodate 2 adults and 1 child.
- Family room – £80.00
- Double or Twin room – £55.00
- Single Room – £45.00