Below you’ll find a list of 22 of the scariest places on earth, some of which you will most likely of heard of and some of which you may have not. What is for sure, though, is that you’ll probably want to read some of these creepy stories with the lights on!
Although our speciality here at Haunted Rooms is the UK’s most haunted hotels, we’re fascinated by any haunted place, and there are lots of them about. So, we have decided to put together what we think are the most haunted places in the world. See our sister site for the most haunted places in America.
Here are the most haunted places in the world!
1. Eastern State Penitentiary, Pennsylvania, United States
Built in 1829, Eastern State Penitentiary is a former prison in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It’s known for being the very first prison of its kind to introduce solitary confinement, or what they used to call the Pennsylvania System.
Prisoners were sent to solitary during this time as a form of rehabilitation. They would be completely isolated, living alone, eating alone, and even exercising alone in their yards. Whenever an inmate left his cell, a black hood would be placed over his head to assure he remained in confinement.
Due to the Eastern States’ harsh approach, many prisoners were driven to insanity, and as a result, the Pennsylvania System was scrapped in 1913. From then until 1970, it was used as a regular prison and held the likes of Al Capone and the bank robber Willie Sutton.
Reports of the paranormal have been going on since the 1940s, but ever since the stone prison was abandoned in 1971, paranormal experiences have seemingly increased.
- Shadowy figures that seem to quickly turn away when approached
- a dark figure that is occasionally seen in the guard tower
- an evil cackling is heard coming from cell block 12
- shadowy figures have been seen sliding down walls in cellblock 6
- ghostly faces have been witnessed in cellblock 4
- and strange sounds such as disembodied footsteps, distant talking, and banging of cell doors have also been heard.