The hotel actually lies on an old coaching inn site that dates way back to the 12th century. According to local legend, that inn was a hiding place for a local witch named Betty Price. Betty died whilst hiding in one of the cellars in the building and before she met her maker, she placed a curse on the parson of the hotel along with everyone who had taken part in capturing her. It’s said that she is still roaming the corridors of the hotel to this day, looking for her captors…
The George Hotel occupies a building that has been an inn since 1293. In the 16th century, it was named the George Inn and was one of the area’s busiest and most popular inns. It was also the only permanent building at the junction of the river Pang and the river Thames. Being so close to water, the cellars of the building flooded regularly. They were filled in in 1603 and legend has it that Betty Price was found hiding in one of those cellars. In the 18th century, the George Inn was one of the most popular coaching inns between London and the West Country.
The George Hotel is a historic former coaching inn just a short distance from Oxford, Windsor and London – it’s also just 15 minutes from Reading city centre. It’s also close to the M4, making it an ideal base for those who like to explore. The hotel has been sympathetically refurbished so the 23 bedrooms, bars and restaurant have retained their original charm. All of the rooms are en-suite and there are also a number of specially designed Kidsden rooms, perfect for families.
The hotel restaurant offers an authentic Italian dining experience and the traditional Italian food and wines are the absolute pride of the George Hotel team. The restaurant itself is oak-panelled, offering you more of the same charm that you see throughout the rest of the hotel. The convenient location of this hotel, along with beautiful en-suite bedrooms and a warm and friendly team ready to welcome you makes staying here a brilliant choice for all of the family.
- 23 en-suite bedrooms
- Specially designed family bedrooms
- All bedrooms have telephones, Wi-Fi access, satellite televisions and tea and coffee making facilities
- Safety deposit box in every room
- Alarm calls, irons and ironing boards available on request from reception
- Upgrades are available that include luxury spa robes, toiletries, flowers, champagne and chocolate
- 5 minute walk from Pangbourne train station which offers a direct train to London Paddington
- Ten minutes from J12 of the M4
- Standard rooms start from £85 for a double or twin room based on two people sharing, breakfast included.
- Superior rooms start from £99 for a double or twin room based on two people sharing, breakfast included.
- Family rooms start from £110, based on four people sharing, breakfast included.
Things to do
The George Hotel lies in the village of Pangbourne, home to numerous bars, cafes, restaurants and shops. Pangbourne is also close to various theme parks, including Legoland, and numerous museums, heritage sites, stately homes and nature reserves.