Out of the several ghosts that call Edenhall Country Hotel their home, one is seen particularly often by guests and staff alike – a female ghost who tends to stay in room 25 (now room 4). She has been seen sitting at the bottom of the bed in the room, and in the mirror in the bathroom when guests are using the bathtub.
The hotel used to have lots of mirrors above the bar – but after many complaints from both guests and staff of spooky apparitions in the mirrors, they were taken down. This doesn’t mean that the ghosts have gone away, however – an old woman is still regularly seen going to the chair in the corner of the bar to sit down and watch all the activity.
Edenhall Country Hotel used to be known as Woodbine Cottage, and parts of the hotel date back to the 17th century – which is perhaps why it is home to so many ghosts. Much of Edenhall village was built around Eden Hall, an old manor house that was demolished in 1934, though you can still see the entrance lodge at the head of the village.
If you’re looking for a quiet country get-away, Edenhall Country Hotel is definitely the place to stay. It boasts 20 en-suite bedrooms, all decorated in a country-casual style with some antique furniture. All bedrooms offer tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryers and Freeview televisions, and every guest has access to free Wi-Fi.
One of the main attractions of Edenhall is its magnificent grounds – the hotel is set in over 1 acre of grounds and gardens, with stunning views across the Pennine hills and the Lakeland fells. It’s also ideally located for travel, despite being in the middle of the countryside – it is 3 miles from Penrith and Junction 40 on the M40. Weddings and conferences can be catered for at Edenhall, and as the hotel has its own wedding license, you can enjoy all of your special day there.
The conference rooms at the hotel can cater to 30 guests conference style and 50 guests theatre style, and homemade biscuits, tea and coffee will be given on arrival, with the use of OHP, screens and flipcharts included. Whether you want to stay at Edenhall for business or pleasure, you’re sure to have a relaxed, enjoyable stay.
- 20 en-suite bedrooms
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Hairdryers in room
- Freeview televisions
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ideally located
- Wedding license
- Conference rooms
Things to do
There is plenty to do in the local area, whether you prefer sports activities, relaxing activities or days out with the kids. There are specialist food shops, numerous country houses, gardens and nurseries, farms including an alpaca centre and an ostrich farm, museums and mines as well as numerous walking and cycling routes.
- Single room available from £55 per night.
- Standard double room available from £39.50 per person per night, based on two people sharing.
- Standard twin room available from £39.50 per person per night, based on two people sharing.
- Standard double/twin room available from £65 per night, based on single person occupancy.
- Deluxe double room available from £46.25 per person per night, based on two people sharing.
- Deluxe twin room available from £46.25 per person per night, based on two people sharing.
- Deluxe double/twin room available from £65 per night, based on single person occupancy.
- Penthouse available from £60 per person per night, based on two people sharing.
- Penthouse available from £80 per night, based on single person occupancy.
All room rates include a full English breakfast. For dinner, bed and breakfast, the rate is an extra £20 per person per night.