No products in the cart.
The Ancient Ram Inn can be found within the village of Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire. Many people believe that it is one of the most haunted buildings in the country, if not the world! The inn is owned by John Humphries. Mr. Humphries also lives in the inn. The inn was once owned by the St. Mary’s Church when it was first built. Because of the reported spectres seen in the inn, it has been investigated by various paranormal researchers. It has been featured in various television shows, such as Most Haunted and the US series ‘Ghost Adventures’.
The inn was built in 1145. Priests used the inn years ago as a keeping house for slaves and workers who helped construct the St. Mary Church. In 1930, the inn was bought by Maurice de Bathe. Since then the inn has become a private property and it has changed hands several times.
The land where the inn is built is on the intersection of 2 Ley Lines. These are places which people believe to have high spiritual energy. When you use a map, you can trace the lines all the way through the centre of Stonehenge. According to legend, Stonehenge has energy which travels through the Ley Lines to feed the paranormal power found in the Ancient Ram Inn. Furthermore, an ancient Pagan burial ground is reported to have resided in the location over 5,000 years ago.
John Humphries bought the building in 1968 from brewers for £2,600. He saved the building from demolition and he has made it his life’s mission to save the structure from falling apart. He is now over 80 years old and he is the sole occupant of the house and from what people say, a right character too.
Ghosts of Ancient Ram Inn
One popular legend surrounding the Ancient Ram Inn is that of the witch burned at the stake. She was burned at the stake in the 1500s. It was the prosecution of people who did not believe and practice Christianity as sanctioned by the government. A lot of people believe that the woman’s spirit still haunts one of the rooms of the house to this day. It is believed that the woman took refuge in one of the rooms of the house before she was captured and killed. Today, that room is called “The Witch’s Room”.
It is widely believed that the redirecting of water on the Ancient Ram property caused a portal for dark energy to open up. The owner himself, John Humphries, can attest to the spectres which have made the house their home. During John’s first night, he claims to have been grabbed by the arm by a demonic force and dragged from the bed across the room.
John Humphries has found evidence of Devil worship and ritual sacrifice too. He discovered the skeletal remains of children just under the staircase. Broken daggers were also found within the skeletons. Until this day, he claims to be haunted and attacked by various entities in the house on a regular basis. There have been many sightings of previous owners of the inn seen residing and sitting together with the patron’s of today’s time.
One of the most haunted rooms in the entire inn is called “The Bishop’s Inn”. The room is found on the first floor of the house. When the inn was still a bed and breakfast, a lot of guests would not want to sleep in the room. Some who did sleep ended up fleeing in the middle of the night. It is said that the ghost of a monk haunts the room on a regular basis.
The ghost of a centurion on horseback has also been spotted. It is said that the plumber who saw the apparition was startled out of his wits when the apparition went straight through the wall. There is also talk of a succubus which creeps into the beds of sleeping visitors.