No products in the basket.
Stanley Palace is a stunning 16th Century Tudor building is said to be one of the most haunted locations in Chester, built in 1591 over the former Black Frairy, There has been many reports of Ghostly sigtings (many believe this is the daughter (Elizabeth) of Sir Peter Warburton) Over the many years there has been numerous reports of unexplained happenings and activity. The sound of doors have been heard opening when nobody is present. Strange unexplained sweet perfume smells appear from nowhere, loud thuds, drastic temperature changes and many people witness a strange presence on the main staircase. These are just some of the strange happenings here dare you join the Team as we unlock Stanley Palace and invite you to delve into the unknown secrets of this building.
The Hauntings of Stanley Palace
Many believe this 16th century tudor building is home to many ghosts, Staff and visitors at this location have seen ghostly figures a female dressed in period clothing, many believe this to be Peter Warburtons daugther who inherited the house in 1621, she is said to roam the hallways here. There has been disembodied footsteps captured on night vision camcorders along with the sound of a piano playing when the building is completly empty. There has been numerous reports of ghostly dark hooded figure seen on the grand staircase (many believe this is one of the former monks). The Sound of someone pacing up and down the gallery is often heard when there is no actual person there. There has also been many reports of small children heard running, and laughing throughout this building. Can you brave the evening inside Chester`s most haunted building ?
The History of Stanley Palace
Stanley Palace, formerly known as ‘Derby House’, is a 16th century building on a site previously occupied by the Dominican Friars (The ‘Black Friars’) in medieval times.
It was built for a knight called Peter Warburton, a Chester Lawyer who became a sergeant-at-law and MP for Chester, a county finance manager and a judge.
The house was passed to his daughter Elizabeth in 1621. She married Sir Thomas Stanley who gave his name to the house.
It is known that Hesketh, a sporting gentleman, who held parties for the race-goers, once occupied the house before it deteriorated and became ‘three shabby cottages’. The cottages passed from owner to owner and in 1866 the Americans wished to transport the house to the USA but this was blocked by Chester Archaeological Society.
In 1889, Edward Henry Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby, came to the rescue by buying it for the community. In 1911 it opened as a museum and the three cottages merged to form one house again. Tunnels were found under a trap door which led to Chester Castle and the Watergate.
Finally, in 1928 the 17th Earl of Derby passed the house over to Chester City Council on a 999-year lease. The north wing was rebuilt in 1935
The house is timber-framed on an ashlar sandstone plinth in two storeys. The south wall is brick and the roofs are slate. There are four gables on the east face and three on the north face which overlooks the street. On the ground floor there is a door on the east face and mullioned windows on both faces. The upper storey is jettied with a moulded bressumer. In each bay of the upper storey on both faces is a ten-light mullioned and transomed window, each of which contains leaded lights. Below and to the sides of these windows are panels, most of which are decorated. In the gables are wavy herringbone struts. At the top of each gable is a finial.
This Event Includes:
Working in small groups, participating in Ouija/spirit board sessions, Evp Sessions, Table tipping, seances and many other different techniques.
Tea/coffee and light snacks throughout the evening.
Please remember to wear suitable footwear as this location has a lot of stairs and very uneven floors.
This Location is not suitable for people with walking and mobility issues.
OVER 18`s ONLY