No products in the basket.
St Johns House has a rather eerie feel to it. The house itself stands on the site of a former house which some of that can still be seen with some of the original intials carved in a old wooden doorframe. Over the years this house has had many purposes from a family home to a hospital and an all girls school. In the 1970`s some of the land was sold off and workmen were digging out fondations when all work came to a complete stop when part of a human skull was found. Many believe that since this occurence paranormal activity has been apparent. Poltegeist activity is very common in the attic where cupboard door handles have been heard turning and then doors opening in front of people when noboby is present.
Meet the ghosts of the haunted mansion
St Johns mansion situated in the heart of Warwick is said to be home of many residential ghosts. A woman dressed in period clothing has been seen on many occasions standing in front of one of the windows looking out, many believe this is the lady who lost her life here due to her dress catching fire and she burnt to death ! The sound of children`s laughter, footsteps and cries are also often heard in the attic area. The cellar is a terrifying place there is male angry spirit who haunts here, Poltergeist activity is very common here , many guests refuse to go back into the cellars due to them feeling like they have been pushed and grabbed. The sound of doors banging is often heard. Will you be afraid of these cellars ?
Some of the history of St Johns
St Johns Mansion has had a history spanning almost 900 years, In the mid 12th century, during the reign of Henry II, the land on which St. John’s House stands was given to the establishment of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist. The hospital was brought into being by William de Beaumont, then Earl of Warwick. This hospital provided two purposes: To help the local poor and ill; and to provide casual overnight boarding and food to impoverished travelers such as pilgrims. The Hospital of St. John the Baptist was one of two such hospitals in the town of Warwick at the time. The other was the Hospital of St. Michael, founded with the sole purpose of providing help and respite to those in the parish suffering from leprosy. Of both hospitals, only the chapel building of St. Michael still stands.
In 1291’s taxatio, the Hospital was noted to own a dovecote worth 2 shillings. Additionally, the carucate of land owned by the Hospital was valued at 10 shilling per year. In 1337, protection was granted to the hospital’s brethren and their attorneys for the collection of alms at churches. At this time it was suggested that some building renovation was necessary.
It is known that in 1610 the site comprised four standing buildings, including a gatehouse topped with crenelations. The largest of the three other buildings has crosses at the roof’s apex, suggesting its religious use as the site’s chapel. At the time the hospital site also included a cemetery – remains have often been dug up during refurbishment or remodeling works on the House. The first recorded case was in the 1830s when work was being undertaken in the kitchen garden. In 1987, two workmen digging to the Coten End front of St. John’s Court flats discovered two skulls.
In 1791, the building was rented out for the first time by the Earl of Warwick for public use, with the intent of converting it into a school. The school, then known as St John’s Academy, was founded by William T Fowler and was set up as a school for “Young Gentlemen” (as advertised on the hand-bill Throughout the life of the school, its cohorts changed frequently. In 1828, the daughters of William Fowler, then running the school, changed it to a school for girls. It was then reverted in 1845 under a Mr. Townsend. Then it returned to a girls’ school in 1884, which continued until the very end of the 19th Century. In the later part of the school’s life, as money became tighter, the school restricted itself to the lower part of the house, with upper rooms being leased out to local artists and other public figures, with their studios being open for public viewing. The school was declared bankrupt in 1900 and closed down.
This Event Includes
Working in small groups, participating in Ouija/spirit board sessions, Evp Sessions, Table tipping, seances and many other different techniques. Tea/coffee and light snacks throughout the evening, you are also welcome to bring your own snacks.
Please remember to wear suitable footwear and warm clothing even during the summer months, as this location has no heating what so ever and it is a very cold location. Remember to bring your torch.
Please be advised that this location has a long walk from the car parking area to the main entrance so therefore this Location is not suitable for people with walking and mobility issues.
OVER 18`S ONLY