No products in the basket.
History & Haunting
Smithills Hall was a family home for over 800 years and to this this day maintains many of it’s original medieval features. Smithills Hall is believed to have been built on top of a cemetary which was attached to the medieval chapel and in the 1950’s, human remains were discovered under one of the rooms.
In 1801, the hall and its estate were sold off to the Ainsworth family. Under this families occupancy, Smithills Hall was extensively rebuilt and modernised.
In 1938, the hall was sold to Bolton Council and the Victorian areas of the house became a council residential home and later a day care centre until the 1990’s.
With such a rich family history and connections to this beautiful building, there is little wonder why so many of the deceased have refused to leave there.
There are countless reports of paranormal activity at Smithill’s Hall including the shadowy figure of a man who lurks around the stairways and he has even been known to show his face which appears sad and almost sinister, he often does this in the large mirror hanging on one of the walls.
The spirit of a lady has also been seen and she can get quite mischievous with some guests quite regularly.
There are numerous reports of poltergeist activity throughout the hall along with loud footsteps, heavy breathing, doors banging closed and then opening on their own, objects moving, lights flashing on and off and lot’s more.
- A guided tour of the building with the lights on by a member of the ‘friends of the winter gardens’ team
- Work in smaller and more personal groups
- Take part in a variety of activities such as glass divination, table tipping, séances and Ouija boards
- Use of ghost hunting equipment such as K-II, EDI+ meter, trigger objects and ghost meters, REM Pods and more
- Tea, Coffee, Juices and light snacks will be available throughout the night and included in the cost
- Qualified first aider present
- Fully Insured event