No products in the basket.
St Catherine’s former Hospital and Sanatorium is a formidable and terrifying location.
The reported paranormal activity that has been experienced at this Victorian Institution has been overwhelming with voices, cries, screams and full apparitions been witnessed by many. There are so many areas that even staff who work there today will never go into due to the intense fear that is associated with some of the rooms. St Catherine’s House was once used as a Mental Health Facility in Victorian times and currently stands on the original site of a former isolation and sanatorium hospital which was built between 1835 and 1843. It became known as St Catherine’s Hospital in 1959.
St Catherine’s House stands alone and foreboding and is not a place where people wish to go alone. Do you have what it takes to spend the night here, confronting the ghosts and spirits that lurk at St Catherines Hospital?
Ghost hunting at St Catherine’s is a must for anybody who has an interest in the paranormal. The activity witnessed here can be a chilling experience and our overnight ghost hunts at St Catherine’s Hospital give you the opportunity to spend the night in a haunted hospital taking part in a real ghost hunting experience.
Your Ghost Hunt at St Catherines
St Catherine’s Old Sanitorum and Victorian Institution is an imposing building, with a dark and sinister facade overlooking the surrounding countryside set on the outskirts of Doncaster. The building of the mansion was commissioned by George Banks the lord mayor of Leeds Banks Family’s wealth came from the mills.
The original purpose for St Catherine’s was as a holiday retreat for the family but later became the Banks main residence Once the last member of the Banks dynasty passed away St Catherine’s was sold in the summer of 1928 complete with its contents. For the next 90 years the house was used for several different purposes including a hospital for the insane, an isolation unit and a sanatorium and even for a short time a school house.
Ghosts of St Catherines
Much suffering and death has been witnessed at this former family home during its time. As an isolation hospital daily updates of the patient’s conditions and deaths were posted on the perimeter fences as a method of keeping the families and relatives of the patients informed
With many empty rooms over 2 floors, a darkened basement that still has the original operating theatre table and endless corridors people often see dark shadows and a really strong feeling of being watched so much so that the staff at St
Catherine’s refuse to enter alone.
Just some of the activity that is frequently reported at this chilling locations includes distant cries hushed conversations from empty rooms, the strong feelings of being followed and doors being opened by unseen hands. Footsteps are often heard on the upper floors along with the sound of doors being slammed.
History of St Catherines
St Catherine’s Sanitorium and mental institution Was once a victorian house belonging to The Banks family, originally built as a countryside retreat for the family..
The house was handed down to daughter Georgina who married the Rev Banks and went on to have a very large family of 10 children who lived here happily until they relocated with their family to Scarborough, sadly both died in 1887.
On the 18th July 1928 the house was sold with all its contents. Some of the furniture still stands in the building to this day. After 90 years of being in the Banks family the house was to take on a totally different role and become Doncasters Mental Institution for those who suffered with conditions of the mind, a perfect and private location people thought, tucked away out of public sight, private and secluded..
In 1845 it was named St Catherine’s Institution and in 1959 it again changed its name to St Catherine’s Hospital. Amazingly this hospital stands on on the same site as the former isolation hospital and sanatorium built between 1835 and 1843.
The hospital consisted of two children’s wards, where infectious diseases were treated, a psychiatric unit, female chest unit and sanatorium, and male sanatorium, which was located away from the other wards. The original kitchen is still in use to this day, as is the nurses building.
In the earliest days as an isolation, or ‘fever’, hospital, the porters had to post a daily information bulletin on the perimeter fence to give details of patients’ conditions and of any deaths for the family or relatives.
Doncaster and the surrounding areas went on to use St Catheirne’s Hospital for over 100 years and in that time saw many deaths at this old building.
Ghost hunting vigils and séances in small groups
Workshop/separate vigils for returning guests
Experiments including glass divination and table tipping
Use of ghost hunting equipment including EMF Meters, K2 Meters etc
Refreshments and light snacks included such as teas and coffees
Not suitable for people with mobility issues or walking difficulties
Parking is on site and free
Yorkshire & Humber