History & Haunting
The Ragged School is formed of three canal side buildings which once formed the largest “Ragged” or free school in London.
Thomas Barnardo came to London in 1866 with the intentions of training to be a Doctor and then became a missionary in China, he was confronted by a city where disease was rife, poverty and overcrowding endemic and educational opportunities for the poorest people were none existent. Thomas watched by helplessly as a cholera epidemic spread throughout the East End of London, leaving over 3000 people dead and other’s destitute. He gave up his ambition to be a Doctor to pursue his missionary works in London’s East End and in 1867 opened his first “ragged” school where poverty stricken children were able to access free education.
Ten years later Barnardo’s Copperfield Road free school opened it’s doors to children. For the next 31 years, it educated tens of thousands of children. The school closed in 1908 by which time enough government schools had opened within the area and served the local families.
The buildings were originally used as warehouses for goods to be transported along the regions canal network. They have also been used for many other purposes until in the early 1980’s they were threatened with demolition. It was at this time that a group of locals came together to save them and reclaim their unique heritage.
There are countless reports of paranormal activity in this truly haunted location in London’s East End. Some of the activity people have experienced here have left many people so terrified that they have refused to remain in the building. Children’s voices are heard along with the sounds of children crying. The sounds of heavy footsteps, loud bangs, strange floating lights and even extreme poltergeist activity are common occurrence at Ragged School.
People have reported being touched, chased and screamed at by unseen energies.
A location not for the feint hearted! Will you dare to join us?
- Work in smaller and more personal groups
- Take part in a variety of activities including Ouija Boards, Table Tipping, Glass Divination, Seances etc.
- Access to ghost hunting equipment such as K-II, EDI+ Meters, Ghost Meters, Trigger Objects and more
- Opportunities to conduct lone vigils for those feeling brave
- A friendly and experienced team of investigators offering advice and support throughout the night
- Hot and cold drinks and light snacks available throughout the night and included in the cost
- Qualified first aider present
- Access to all areas of the Inn made available to us