Known as The Shire Hall, this independent museum situated on High Pavement in the Lace Market in Nottingham is a truly important building. The Galleries of Justice is a large building and houses what was once the old Gaol, the Police Station and a Victorian Courtroom. The Courtrooms themselves date back to the 14th Century and the Gaol itself to 1449. The building was also used as a police station from 1905 to 1985, the courts closed in 1986. It is a site of historical importance and is the only place where an individual could be arrested, sentenced and executed.
The Nottingham City of Caves (ALSO KNOWN AS TIGGUO COBAUC) which lie under the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre in Nottingham is a vast area dating back to medieval times. Beneath the houses, shops and offices of Nottingham lie hundreds of caves. Few people in Nottingham are aware of this labyrinth, which exists underneath the city streets, and fewer still have visited them. Nottingham has more man-made caves than anywhere else in Britain. People have worked and lived in them for over 1,000 years.
Your Ghost Hunt at The Galleries, Caves and Police Station
Haunted Happenings are set to unlock three of Nottingham’s most notoriously haunted locations for an extreme ghost hunting experience that will span over 1,000 years of chilling history in one terrifying night. This will be a ghost hunt like no other as we venture into Nottingham’s most haunted hot-spots in search of the spirits and ghosts that lurk within. Explore 3 chilling locations after dark and conduct Vigils and Seances in search of their ghostly inhabitants.
This is an overnight ghost hunt like no other and you can expect to encounter some of the most terrifying paranormal activity we have ever witnessed. Join us and explore haunted Nottingham’s three most sinister locations – are you brave enough?
Ghosts of The Galleries of Justice
Many people have reported extreme drops in temperature, strange lights and even the sounds of screams from within the building. Whole groups have witnessed the apparition of a figure stooping through doorways during ghost hunt vigils and people have become completely paralyzed with fear in this dark and foreboding location. Who or what will you encounter on an your overnight ghost hunt.
On one of our ghost hunts we heard the most hideous noise in the caves which was witnessed by all 20 of us, it was guttural and gruesome. Some of our overnight ghost hunts here have frankly petrified us particularly down in the medieval cave underneath the prison. We have also caught light anomalies through our cameras all over the Galleries of Justice but the horrible rasping breath sounds that we have heard far outweigh the flashing lights. The Galleries of Justice in Nottingham is infamous for frightening paranormal activity. The misery, torture and despair endured here for centuries lingers and we defy anybody to spend the night alone in some of these terrifying areas.
History of The Galleries of Justice
The Galleries of Justice stands on a site dating back to 600AD and is the base for Nottingham’s Saxon settlement. Archeologists have unearthed clues within the sandstone caves to suggest that the site was linked with imprisonment & punishment from these early times. Written records show that the site was used as a court from 1375 and as a prison from 1449. The courts were largely rebuilt around 1876 following a major fire and the Victorians closed the jail in 1878 as part of the prison reforms due to the appalling conditions in which prisoners were held?
Executions by hanging took place on the steps of the Galleries of Justice and this was the only location in the UK where you could be Tried, Sentenced and have the punishment carried out all under the same roof. There is a heavy sense of the misery endured by those incarcerated here and we have unrestricted access to the location including the Courts, Night Cell, Men’s Cells, Women’s Washrooms, Chapel, Caves & even the terrifying Condemned Cell where a prisoner’s last hours were spent before succumbing to the noose as dawn broke. walk the floors and rooms of this vast location alone without feeling that you are being watched at every turn.
The Galleries of Justice are housed in a Shire Hall, which stands in the Lace Market area of Nottingham. The earliest confirmed use of the site for official purposes was by the Normans, who appointed sheriffs to keep the peace and collect taxes; hence the site was also referred to as the Sheriff’s Hall, the County Hall or the Kings Hall. The first written record of the site being used as a law court dates from 1375. The first written reference to its use as a prison is in 1449. There has been a court of justice on this site since 1375, although over the centuries the courts and prison have been developed and enlarged.
The Hall was re-built between 1769 – 1772. The architect was James Gandon from London and cost about £2,500 (£334,245 as of 2015), The builder was Joseph Pickford of Derby. The inscription on the top of the building reads: This County Hall was erected in the year MDCCLXX and in the tenth year of the reign of His Majesty George III.
The building was fronted by an iron palisade to help control unruly crowds on the occasion of a public hanging. Additional wings were added between 1820 and 1840. Changes were made to the nisi prius court in 1833. The judges’ retiring room, barristers’ robing room and office for a clerk were added in 1844. A new grand jury room was added in 1859 to designs by the architect Richard Charles Sutton. The last public execution was held in 1864 when Richard Thomas Parker was hanged.
In 1876 major improvements were made and the front was redesigned in a style described as Italianate by Mr. Bliss-Sanders of Nottingham. Within a few weeks a fire broke out and nearly destroyed all of the newly completed work.
Following a fire in 1876, the courts were largely rebuilt by Thomas Chambers Hine between 1876 – 1879, by the end of the refurbishment, the prison gaol was closed.
There has been a court of justice on this site since 1375, although over the centuries the courts and prison have been developed and enlarged. An example of this is when in 1724 the courtroom floor collapsed. The Nottingham Courant in March 1724 recorded.
On Monday morning, after the Judge had gone into the County Hall, and a great crowd of people being there, a tracing or two that supported the floor broke and fell in and several people fell in with it, about three yards into the cellar underneath. Some were bruised, but one man named Fellingham was pretty much hurt, one leg being stripped to the bone, and was much hurt. This caused great consternation in Court, some apprehending the Hall might fall, others crying out Fire! etc. which made several people climb out of the windows. The Judge, being also terribly frightened, cried out A plot! A plot!, but the consternation soon being over the Court proceeded to business.
- Ghost hunting vigils and séances in small groups
- Workshop/separate vigils for returning guests
- Experiments including glass divination, table tipping and Ouija Boards
- Use of ghost hunting equipment including EMF Meters, K2 Meters etc
- Refreshments and light snacks included such as teas and coffees
- Disabled access with limitations