Craig y Nos Castle History
Craig-y-nos Castle is situated in the Brecon Beacons National Park, an area of outstanding natural beauty. With its wonderful yet secluded location, and the authentic ambience of a Welsh Castle, Craig-y-Nos is the ideal destination for an unforgettable ghost hunting weekend!
Built in 1840 as a Victorian country house by Captain Rice Davies Powell, this mock Gothic Castle overlooking the river Tawe, has a rich history. In 1878 the world-renowned opera singer Adelina Patti purchased the property as a place to relax in between an exhausting work schedule touring the world several times over.
Adelina was the Victorian equivalent of a modern-day entertainment superstar. She gave several private performances for Queen Victoria and sang at sold-out venues across the globe.
In 1886, Madame Patti married and thus began a series of extensions and refurbishment of the castle. During this time, the clock tower, north and south wings, conservatory, and Winter Gardens were added.
The exquisite Adelina Patti Theatre was added during this time as well, which served as a private theatre for Patti to entertain her guests. The theatre floor has a remarkable feature for the time, as it has a mechanism to move above or down to the floor level.
Completed in 1891, the guest list for the opening ceremony for the theatre included some of the most prominent patrons of the arts in the country. It’s now a Grade I Listed Opera House and an ideal wedding spot.
The castle was one of the first private dwellings to be wired for electricity in the UK, with installation sometime around 1898.
In 1919 Adelina passed away, and though her body is buried in Paris, her ghost still haunts the castle and the home she loved so much during her life.
After her death, the Welsh National Memorial Trust purchased the property for £11,000 in March 1921, reopening the castle as a Tuberculosis Hospital named Adelina Patti Hospital. It cared for children mainly, with the patients receiving one of the first effective TB medicines in the country.
In 1959, the hospital became a home for the elderly. After the transfer of the patients to the new local Ystradgynlais Community Hospital, the castle closed as a hospital in 1986.