This Norman castle in Carrickfergus, County Antrim, played a very important role during 1928 and has been the focal point of many attacks throughout the centuries. The Scots, English, French, and Irish have all besieged it.

Carrickfergus Castle was first constructed during 1180 AD-1204 AD by John de Courcy, the Norman Lord of Ulster. In the 800 years, it has been standing the castle has been strengthened and extended many times. In the 18th century, the castle was used as a prison. Today though, the imposing castle is a tourist hotspot, being one of the best-preserved medieval castles in all of Ireland.

Reported Ghosts

One of the most prominent ghosts in the castle goes by the name ‘Button cap’, a young soldier who was stationed here during the late 18th century. It is believed he was executed for having an affair with the wife of his Captain’s brother.

His wails of innocence can still be heard, you may even catch a glimpse of him near the well.

FEATURED GHOST HUNTS