No products in the basket.
Endcliffe hall situarted in Sheffield is a 19th-century 36-room mansion the present building was built for one of Sheffield’s leading industrialists John Brown and this vast former mansion was completed in 1865. John Brown made his fortune manufacturing armour plating at his Atlas Works.
Endcliffe Hall is the largest and grandest private residence to have ever been designed and built in Sheffield, Previous to the manor house a Hall stood on these grounds prior to the present day Endcliffe Hall in the reign of George II between 1727 to 1760. There is conjecture also that there may have been a building on the site even earlier to the mid 18th century too. For many years ghost hunters have been investigating this vast old grand mansion and this is a location you certainly do not want to Miss ! Reports of being warched, grabbed and pushed . Are you ready to enter Endcliffe Hall ?
The Ghosts of Endcliffe Hall
Ghost hunts here at Endcliffe Hall are said to have been some of the most darkest and eeriest encounters, Dark shadows and disembodied voices are extremely common. The sound of heavy footsteps and loud thumps are often heard wandering down this old Mansions grand staircase. Locked off rooms have had reports of faint laughter and whispering coming from within them. There has also been reports of guests being pushed and shoved on the staircases. Are you ready to investigate this haunted location ? Join the Team as we unlock the secrets and try to unfold who is haunting this old mansion.
History of Endcliffe Hall
The Endcliffe estate can be traced back to 1333 when John de Elcliffe was awarded a financial grant, at that time the estate extended considerably and took in land between the Porter and Sheaf valleys. It is believed that the first Endcliffe Hall was built in the reign of George II (1727 – 1760) although Sheffield historian J. Edward Vickers says there may have been an earlier building on the site. The hall was owned from 1818 by the merchant William Hodgson and included 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land and cost £6,700. The hall later passed to Henry Wilkinson, a Sheffield silversmith before being bought by John Brown in August 1860.
Brown had previously lived at the large seven bedroomed house of Shirle Hill in Cherry Tree Road, Nether Edge and entertained the Prime Minister Lord Palmerston there in 1862. However Brown was looking for a more impressive structure to entertain his visitors and wanted a building that was specially adapted for dispensing hospitalities on a scale worthy of such distinguished visitors”. Brown’s first action on acquiring the building was to pull the old hall down and replace it with the current building which cost £100,000 to build with a further £60,000 spent on the furnishings. Brown was determined to use Sheffield craftsmen during the work on the hall and in addition to the architects Flockton & Abbot he employed local firms such as John Jebson Smith (staircases), Longden & Co. (kitchen stoves), Messrs Craven (ornamental plasterwork), William Gibson (carpentry), Mr Pitt (plumbing and glazing) and John and Joseph Rogers (decorating).
Such was the rarity of such a fine building being erected in Sheffield at that time, that when the hall was finished it was opened to the public for three days attracting huge crowds and much praise with the Sheffield Telegraph calling it, “the public advantage of personal munificence” in its edition of 24 May 1865. After the death of his wife in 1881, Brown gradually withdrew from public life, his health deteriorated and he spent increasing amounts of time in southern England. John Brown left Endcliffe Hall for the last time in 1892 and sold Endcliffe Hall for £26,000 in 1895 (a year before his death) to Barber Brothers and Wortley for building development. The development never took place and various plans were proposed for the future of the hall. In 1913 the hall was in danger of demolition, then Colonel George Ernest Branson of the 4th Hallamshire Battalion suggested that the hall could replace the Hyde Park Barracks as the headquarters of the Battalion. The plan was endorsed by the War Office in January 1914 and the house was sold to the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association for use by the Territorial Army and became the Hallamshire’s headquarters. Before the Battalion moved in, a number of alterations were needed these included converting the stables and coach house into a drill hall.
Endcliffe Hall remained the HQ of the Hallamshires until 1968 when the battalion was disbanded. Today the hall and grounds are still owned by the RFCA and is the Regimental Headquarters of Army Reserve unit 212 (Yorkshire) Field Hospital. Access to the grounds is limited for the general public as the military are on a constant terrorist security alert.
This Event Includes
Working in small groups, participating in Ouija/spirit board sessions, Evp Sessions, Table tipping, seances and many other different techniques. Tea/coffee a nd light snacks. Please remember to bring your torch as this location has caves and underground chambers. Please remember to wear suitable footwear as this location has a lot of stairs and very uneven floors.
This Location is not suitable for people with walking and mobility issues.
OVER 18`s ONLY
Yorkshire & Humber