No products in the basket.
Enter for a chance to
WIN a FREE Ghost Hunt for Two
Your privacy is protected.
The Bull Hotel in Long Melford, Suffolk was built back in the mid 1400’s, some 35 years before the first Tudor monarchs, who are dated around 1475. Its oak beams simply radiate the history that surrounds this beautiful hotel. The ghost of Richard Evered, murdered in the hotel back in 1648 is rumoured to still haunt the hotels halls and corridors.
The story goes that two men were having an argument about politics and it got so heated that one stabbed the other. He was laid out in the hallway. People ran to get help and when they returned his body had disappeared. His ghost is said to haunt Room 4.
The historic Bull Hotel is set within the heart of Long Melford, on the longest street in the whole of East Anglia, where settlements have been traced all the way back to 100BC. The Bull is blessed with original features, with traditional oak beams running throughout, and a beautiful Elizabethan fireplace in the lounge.
The hotel’s original timber work is unusually well preserved, both on the inside and on the outside of the hotel. The outside timber work was discovered back in 1935 when the 100 year old brick work was pulled down. A beam in the lounge is carved with the image of a ‘Wildman’ or ‘Woodwose’, a mysterious being which was included in the decoration throughout the middle ages to ward off evil spirits.
During the coaching era the hotel was the principal Posting House of the town. It was a hive of activity, with the coaches from London, Norwich, and Bury St Edmonds passing through regularly. The Cordell Restaurant serves the finest cuisine amongst antique carvings. An excellent bar menu, together with cask ales and a fine selection of wines by the glass are available in the Reeves Bar.
23 en-suite bedrooms and 2 separate suites are all beautifully decorated with every comfort you would expect. There are three meeting and conference rooms for up to 60 people. The hotel is licensed for Civil Ceremonies.
Long Melford has a wealth of interesting gift and antique shops, some of which were featured in the “Lovejoy” TV series. It also has two stately homes: Melford Hall and Kentwell Hall (which often hosts Tudor weekends). Splendid Suffolk wool towns such as Lavenham are nearby, and the popular Quay Theatre is only a couple of miles away.
25 Guest Bedrooms and Suites * Prices range from £80 per room to around £160 including full English Breakfast.