No products in the basket.
Enter for a chance to
WIN a FREE Ghost Hunt for Two
Your privacy is protected.
Kingsford Country Park
Hidden away in beneath Kingsford Country Park near Kinver in Staffordshire, these terrifying tunnels are 3.5 miles long, and have served as a bunker for World War II, and as a Nuclear bunker during the Cold War.
Drakelow Tunnels (formerly known as Drakelow Underground Dispersal Factory), was excavated during World War II. It was built for use as a shadow factory for Rover (the car manufacturer), who at the time were supporting Britain’s war effort with engines for the RAF. It was also used as a backup facility for Rover, should any of their main factories be destroyed.
During the 1950’s and the brewing Cold War, the tunnels were used as a ministry of supply, mainly for storage. During the Cold War, the MOS became heavily involved in Britain’s nuclear program.
In 1958 the tunnels were developed by the government for use as a Regional Seat of Government. However, in 1963 the tunnels were brought to the attention of the public by the Committee of 100, who were a British anti-war group at the time. Under following Home Defence operations, the tunnels were used as a Sub-Regional Control, Sub-Regional Headquarters, and finally Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ).
There were plans to move the RGHQ to a much smaller bunker, formerly used by the UKWMO, at Lawford Heath near Rugby. However, this never came to fruition and the site decommissioned and was later sold in 1993.
The site was sold on to private owners who intended to develop and create housing and commercial properties. However, this met stiff opposition from a Preservation Trust, as the site is of historical significance. The trust won the fight and redevelopment of the site was put on hold. It’s feared though that the redevelopment may happen sometime in the future.
During the construction and running of this facility, 6 people are thought to have died. These deaths are from roof collapses during excavation, and fatal human error during operation. It is believed most of the hauntings that occur here are from the very people that died here.
During the years there has been many reports of activity by workers and visitors alike. One of the most well known spirits is that of Oswald. He is believed to be one of the people who tragically died here many years ago. He’s a mischievous spirit, who is known to pull hair, move objects, and touch people. He’s been experienced throughout the tunnels.
It is believed, during the site’s decommission, the site was used as a place for satanic worship, opening up a door to the other realm. Many mediums have reported the presence of a demonic entity, most often in the canteen area.
One night, during the current caretakers rounds on the Nuclear side, his two dogs were found barking at the corner of one room. Upon investigation, the caretaker found no explanation as to why they were so distressed.
Manifestations have been caught on camera, as well as orbs, and mists. On a few occasions wartime music has also been heard playing over the tannoy system, even though the site has been without electricity for years.